top of page

From Peru to Monte Alto - Alpaquita Ranch

Updated: Aug 28, 2023


By Giovanni Cardenas

Owner

Alpaquita Ranch

Alpaquita in Peru

From Peru to Monte Alto - Alpaquita Ranch


During a family summer trip to Peru, I encountered my first alpaca. We visited an alpaca farm where we gained insights into these fascinating creatures, learning about their fleece and watching artisans dye and hand-spin the yarn. My mother, as usual, had planned the trip. Joining us were my dad, sister, her husband, and me. Sadly, my brother and his family couldn't make it.


In contrast to our usual relaxed vacations, this week in Peru was a guided tour. We traveled via coach with a strict itinerary, accompanied by other tourists and knowledgeable guides. Early mornings were a norm; my dad always joked that I better not be the one the bus waits for. Given our struggles with altitude sickness on some days, it's clear why we hadn’t chosen such a vacation before. But, as they say, there's a first time for everything, and everything unfolds as it should.

Machu Picchu was a personal highlight, fulfilling a bucket-list dream. But it was our visit to an alpaca farm that left an indelible mark. We met both Huacaya and Suri alpacas. Huacayas, comprising 90% of the world's alpacas, have a fluffy appearance, while the mop-like Suris, accounting for the remaining 10%, boast a silky fleece. This trip planted the seed for our own Alpaquita Ranch. Fast forward a few years, and from an initial seven alpacas, our ranch now houses over 60.


The alpaca, celebrated for its fleece, is domesticated globally for fiber production, yielding up to 10 lbs annually. Their unique fleece is water-resistant, hypoallergenic, and often called the “fiber of the gods.” At the Peruvian farm, we witnessed the fleece being washed, dyed, and spun, culminating in a visit to their gift shop. I left with two sweaters and the most comfortable Huacaya alpaca slippers, which became an amusing anecdote back at my university dorm.

Alpacas belong to the Camelid family, sharing lineage with camels, llamas, vicuñas, and guanacos. Vicuñas, mainly, produce the finest fleece globally. Feeling vicuña fleece in Peru was an unparalleled experience. Their similarity to alpacas makes them an object of my interest, and I often find common behaviors between them. Once on the brink of extinction in the 60s due to poaching for their valuable fleece, protective measures have seen their numbers rise to over 200,000.

Reflecting on this journey, I recognize the profound influence travel can have. It's about returning with experiences, not just photos or souvenirs. As I pen down this blog, I'm eager to share more stories about Alpaquita Ranch and our life with alpacas. Writing brings clarity, and I hope my future blogs offer valuable insights to readers. See us in Monte Alto and check out Alpaquita Ranch.


64 views2 comments

2 Comments


David Pezzat
David Pezzat
Aug 28, 2023

If you're searching for a wonderful destination to enjoy a family getaway while being in the company of adorable alpacas, then this is the place for you! The one-of-a-kind alpaca ranch offers exciting tours with these lovely creatures, engaging activities, and even a delightful wine bar, all set in a soothing and peaceful atmosphere. Additionally, this exceptional ranch provides vacation homes for a comfortable stay and serves as a fantastic venue for various events. I highly recommend visiting Alpaquita Ranch.

Like

Maverick Cole
Maverick Cole
Aug 28, 2023

Thank you for sharing your story, I love your ranch and everything you have to offer with bringing the Alpaca🦙 experience to South Texas. I’m looking forward to traveling to Peru 🇵🇪 one day.

Like
bottom of page